Tuesday 7 May 2013

Popular radio program, ‘Akwa Ibom Today’ banned on AKBC


Popular political and issue based broadcast program, ‘Akwa Ibom Today’ formerly ‘Politics Today’ has been yanked off air on AKBC Radio 90.5 FM. The program, I learnt, has been blocked from airing for two consecutive weeks now because the producer, Samson Akpan allowed Aloysius Etok, the senator representing Ikot Ekpene Senatorial District in the National Assembly to go on air and say things that are perceived to have been uncomplimentary against Gov. Godswill Akpabio of Akwa Ibom State. I heard this gist the following day after the senator went on air but I didn’t believe because this is the same thing that happened to Bush House when it allowed Mr. Nsima Umoh of former ACN to go on air in the build up to the 2011 general elections. You see why I said Akwa Ibom needs more private stations? Below is what Senator Aloysius Etok said about the yanking off air of ‘Akwa Ibom Today’.  

After the interview I went back to Abuja. At about 9 pm, the TV producer called to inform me that he had been chased out of Uyo and his programme banned on the pretext of using the programme to insult the governor via Aloysius Etok. I asked him whether he inserted anything strange into the script and he said no. Godswill shouldn’t have banned that programme because it was on the same programme that I used to sit and project Godswill to power. I paid for the first quarter of that programme. He even favoured the programme to be renamed Akwa Ibom Today.

No comments:

Post a Comment