Sunday 16 July 2017

Uyo High Court dissolves 18-year old marriage over wife’s poor cooking



The marriage that was contracted in July, 1999, was terminated today, as an Uyo High Court dissolves a 18-year-old union between one Nseobong Ukpong and his wife, Mary, over poor cooking by the wife. The Presiding Judge while dissolving the marriage, said there was “no longer any love in the marriage’’.

She said the Court had tried several times to reconcile the indifferences between the couple, but all efforts proved abortive. "Since the petitioner has insisted on divorce after several interventions, the court has no choice than to dissolve the union despite the wife’s claim that she still loves her husband."
“Therefore, you have ceased to be husband and wife, henceforth. I put an end to the union between both of you from today in the interest of peace. Both are free to go their separate ways without any hindrances or molestation." The judge pronounced.
The 57-year old husband had approached the Court, seeking dissolution of his 18 year-old marriage with his wife, on the grounds of his wife's inability to cook decent meal and lack of respect.
Testifying before the court, Ukpong described the defendant as a disobedient wife, who hardly obey instruction and did not know how to do domestic works.
"My wife did not know how to cook, her food was always tasteless. Anytime she cooked and I complained about her food, she would tell me to cook myself. And I started cooking my food because if I had continued eating her food, I might have fallen sick." The petitioner said.
He added that "My wife had failed in her matrimonial obligations; she doesn’t prepare my food on time, I have warned her several times but she wouldn’t listen to me. Most times I go to the canteen to eat when I am hungry, there is no point in harbouring a wife that makes me hungry. My Lord, please separate us, I am no more interested in the marriage.’’
According to him, my wife was very dirty; she would not wash or sweep the house. Everywhere in the house used to smell. She kept packing used plates for four days or more without washing them and I was always doing the cleaning. She would go out every Friday and returned on Sunday evening. During weekdays, she would leave home by 7 a.m. and returned at midnight and I dared not query her."
However, the 45-year-old wife, denied all the allegations and accused her husband of wanting to take another wife.
She cried in the court, saying she don't have anyone who will marry her again, because of her age.
“My Lord, he is accusing me wrongly because he wants to take another wife, please help me beg him. "I did not know why my husband stopped eating my food. I tried my best to give him good food but he was always complaining that my food was tasteless. I was not dirty as I was always cleaning the house." she said.
Mary had pleaded court not to grant her husband’s plea, saying “I still love him”.

No comments:

Post a Comment