Friday 30 June 2017

Breaking: Female lawyer emerges NBA chairman



Mrs Eno-Obong Bassey Akpan has emerged the Chairman of NBA, Uyo branch. In today’s election, she polled a total of 203 votes to her rival’s (Obong Patrick Usen’s) 125 votes.
The new NBA boss has spent 27 years at the bar. She was called to the Bar in1990. She graduated from the Nigerian Law School with a second Class Upper Division. After graduation, she had a brief stint in litigation. She branched out into corporate practice, and thereafter into NGO work. She has an MBA degree. She also has a Diploma in Transitional Justice and Human Rights from the Institute of Justice and Reconciliation in South Africa. Currently, she is running an LLM programme in the University of Uyo, Akwa Ibom state.
Congrats to the gentleman in skirt. Below is her acceptance speech after her victory.


Acceptance Speech by Eno-Obong Akpan Esq, Chairman Nigeria Bar Association Uyo Branch on June 30, 2017
Akpan, Esq celebrating after her victory
The outgoing Chairman, Aniekan Akpan Esq, other members of the Executive Committee of our Association, Elders, Senior members of the Bar, and distinguished colleagues, good afternoon.
This day marks a very important milestone in my life and I dare say, in the life of the NBA Uyo branch. For me, this task of piloting the affairs of our dear association you have today bestowed on me is a challenge that I most humbly and gladly accept. I have all my life devoted my time, energy and resources in the pursuit of excellence in leadership. I am glad that today you have given me that opportunity to bring my knowledge, experience and training to serve our association and contribute my own quota to it's development.
It was a well fought battle. I understand that in battles soldiers deploy everything at their disposal to win. I however, see the contest for the chairmanship of the NBA as one supposed to build capacity, explore opportunities to select the best and not one to tear us apart. We should therefore, ensure that in subsequent elections all those negativities and hurtful comments, some bothering on personal attacks be discarded in the interest of oneness and cohesion.
It is on that note that I most sincerely thank all those who supported the course of this victory. Your efforts have crystalized into today's outcome. I am humbled that you could sow so much love and bestow so much confidence in me. I give my solemn promise that I will not betray this enormous trust.
For those who opposed our aspiration, I hold no grudges. I see it as a family fighting to achieve one common purpose that of ensuring the best for our common family, the NBA in Uyo. Today there are no losers and there are no winners. We have all won. To my kinsman and compatriot, Obong Patrick Usen, I thank you for putting up such a dogged fight. I extend my hand of fellowship to you and all those who stood with you. Today, there is no Obong Usen camp; today there is no Eno-Obong Akpan camp, what we have is one united Nigeria Bar Association, Uyo branch.
I give you my word that what I have encapsulated in my campaign blueprint will guide our actions and at the end of the tenure, you will be proud that you gave me this chance and one in a life time opportunity to serve you. I wish to assure you also that NBA, Uyo branch shall continue to function through the various committees as provided for by the unified bylaws, while the existing Multi-purpose Cooperative Society scheme is hereby adopted and will be made to fully achieve the purpose for which it was set up.
Thank you very much and together we shall build the NBA branch of our dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment